[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cut

Hi!

Being about to reassemble the components of my 6" system, I'm wondering
where the best place is for the "cut":

As resistive losses in the tank circuit reduce the efficiency of the
system, primary, main spark gap and main cap should be placed close
together. The safety gaps should be placed as close to the xformer as
possible for optimal protection.

Placing the RF filter (I'm using 4 mH chokes and 150 pF bypass caps at
present but planning to add 300 Ohm resistors for better RF attenuation)
close to the safety gaps would result in RF transmission from the long
wires between safety gaps and main spark gap.

Should I place the RF filter close to the main spark gap therefore, despite
the menace, that the strong magnetic field of the primary will affect the
unshielded filter? If yes, would adding additional safety gaps (with the
same spacing as the existing ones) between RF filter and the long wires to
the existing safety gaps at the xformer result in an improved protection?

Any advice will be appretiated very much.

Safe coiling to you!

Herwig