[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nick: Your new coil

Hi Reinahard,
                    yes, I know that 0.6 is a little on the small side. It is
actually 0.64 if that makes any difference.  You are right in saying that the
primary needs to be huge.  It is.
With this coil I decided to use the thin wire a strength rather than a
weakness and follow the RQ dictate of large primary L small primary C.  I
admit that I came round to this way of thining by neccessity but I think It
should work OK. (The wire was offered for £10 - 9kG - not an offer you turn
down)  The primary cap size is going to be doubled in due course - as you
will see from my post regarding bulk capacitor buying.
The secondary DC R actually comes to more like 105R - I've measured it.
One of the ideas behind this coil is to explore very high break rates.  Using
a staggered electrode system the rsg can run up to 1020 bps.  This is the
reason for such a small Cpri - a large one would need a ridiculously high
power input at 1020bps.
 It is not hard to wind a new secondary and as I have a source of free 14"
pipe If the sec does prove troublesome I can do a new one.

No offence taken, Thanks for the advice.
Nick Field