[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Remote Tuned Primary (RTP) ideas...

>  The second part is more interesting.  Having thought of many "great ideas"
> and having them all disintegrate for various reasons, I have settled on the
> following:  I will have an "extra" MMC with four stings.  They will have a
> value of 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, and 4.0nF (could be other values too).  This device
> will be parallel with the regular primary cap.  By selecting the strings in
> a binary fashion, I can select from 0nF to 7.5nF of additional capacitance
> in 0.5nF steps.  Four fiber optic cables and simple circuits, as above,
> will select the capacitance from a simple binary thumb wheel switch.  Piece
> of cake!  Except for the four actual switching devices.

I may be wrong but why could you not use small air cylinders submerged in
transformer oil.
the cylinders could be controlled by air suppled by plastic/silicon tubing
and the
cylinder itself could make contact
with a buss bar or could throw a on/off lever made of tungsten. The system
would
require a small air compressor (one of those
emergency tire pumps should work. It could also run off of the 12V gel cell).
Just a thought. I may be missing some safety issue.

Neal