[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 1916 Era Quenched Gap

At 01:07 PM 10/27/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "Steve Young" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-com>
>
>To all spark gap enthusiasts,
>
>Lindsay Publications sells a very interesting republication entitled "High
>Frequency Apparatus" by Thomas Stanley Curtis which describes 1916 era TCs
>and how to make the various components.  In it is described what he calls a
>quenched gap.

<Big Snip>

I've got one of these gaps that I removed from a Dieletric Heater unit,
sort of an industrial diathermey machine, and yes, the discharge is exactly
as described. I was useing a 1" dia. copper ball as a discharge electrode.

I think the diffrent nature of the discharge from the coil is a combination
of a much higher operating frequency, and a very rapid multiple discharge
across the arc gap.

An additional advantage of this type of gap is it's very quiet operation,
just a nice sizzling sound...

Who needs a vacuum tube coil when you can use this type of gap ;')

Daryl
Cindy D.