[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary shielding

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Doug Brunner <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> Another idea I want to expose to public scrutiny:
>
> I'm building a coil for my school's theater, and I want to be sure that
> there's no chance of someone getting hit by a streamer at the same time
> as an arc hits the primary. My idea is: cover the primary in aluminum
> (not touching it-just to stop all arcs). Do you think it would work?
>
> --
>            --Doug Brunner
>                 <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Doug,

Using a metal plate is not a very good idea, since the any large piece
of metal will absorb considerable energy from the primary due to induced
eddy currents. Making the clearance between the secondary and the
innermost turn of the primary at least 1.5 - 2" all around should be
sufficient to prevent flashovers between the two. Of more concern is the
possibility of someone coming in contact with the primary circuit.
Covering the primary winding with a sheet of clear plastic should do the
trick. Finally, a grounded strikerail (over the outermost turn) should
work quite well in intercepting any streamers that might otherwiase hit
the primary.

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --