[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST can't power Jacobs ladder!?

>Original Poster: Jan Florian Wagner <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>
>
>Hi!
>
>Am I missing something here, or is it really that NSTs can't power a
>Jacobs ladder? Both of my 8kv 50ma NSTs rated 400VA did light an array of
>neon tubes really bright as I tested them. Couldn't measure any
>internal shorts and no "burn throughs" (at least not below 2000 MOhm)
>in either NST - they seem perfectly ok !?
>
>But the Jacobs ladder simply doesn't want to work. Just a dim, blueish
>arc, that stays where it started (~4mm). Electrodes are perfectly clean.
>NST centertap is grounded. The ladder did work nicely with a tiny TV
>flyback...
>
>I thought that at 50ma you should at least get some sort of small flame?
>
>Any ideas?

With a 12KV 60Ma NST I have a small (1'tall) Jacobs Ladder running here in
my apartment. I believe your's should work also. Here are some tips.

If you get nothing but a buzzing sound and no spark at all bring your lower
leads (the start gap) closer together.

If you get a tiny spark that refuses to climb, then your start-gap is too
small. Widen the lower end of the leads.

The rest is trial and error. Good luck.

The Coronaphile
Christopher A. Boden
The Geek Group, Inc.