[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST can't power Jacobs ladder!?

"Jacob's Ladders are sometimes balky and difficult to adjust.  I powered
one
with a 9kvac-at-60ma NST, and the arc refused to rise.  It just stayed in
one
spot.  Ditto for another ladder powered by a hefty 2KV MOT (the arc was
hot
enough to weld with!).  The flaming arc was most impressive, but it
wouldn't move upward.  However, my 15kvac/30ma NST ladder worked
flawlessly
with only a few minutes tinkering to get it adjusted.  Just one of those
things.

Greg"

	Must have been something wrong with the way you shaped your "ladder".
Long, long ago (1940) I started out playing with TC's and Jacob's
ladders using a small 4500 volt NST.  It couldn't do much in the way of
powering the TC's, but just hooking a pair of wires to the two terminals
and spacing them close enough at the bottom to start an arc, then
flaring them out, made quite an impressive Jacob's ladder.  Don't see
how you can miss!  You can even make a JL with a Model T Ford spark
coil.

Ed