[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Latest coil

Hi Alan. All,

I don't yet have any answers to your racing sparks problem, but if misery
loves company, perhaps I can offer you that.  I'm in the process of
converting from my static gap to a sync RSG.  I had been getting nice 60"
arcs from my 4 1/4" secondary, power by a 15/60 NST and a .02uF cap.  I
upped my cap to .03uF so as not to over-volt it, and I too am now seeing the
racing sparks (who coined that name anyway?), and also have a burnt spot at
the base of the secondary to mend.  And I tried raising the secondary, still
got the sparks.

Right now I'm waiting for a HV probe that I ordered so I can scope my cap
charging and phase, perhaps that will show up something.  I'll let you know
if it does.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA