[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: X-rays from light bulbs/Tesla Coils !!!

Vacuum and HV = xrays

Modern bulbs over 25W are filled with argon or nitrogen, so no vacuum... If
you get a corona, there must be a gas, so no x-rays.

Key word below was "antique", i.e. vacuum inside the envelope.  In higher
wattage ratings, the tungsten evaporates off the filament and condenses on
the envelope. If you fill the bulb with a relatively inert gas, then the
tungsten doesn't evaporate as quickly.

I wouldn't worry about it for modern bulbs.

I don't know about the large decorative spherical bulbs, though.. They are
low wattage, so might be vacuum inside, and present a risk.  However, if you
see a corona, it isn't making xrays