[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Near death from the smallest Tesla Coil I've ever built

> And from such a foolish thing.  Don't mess with any connections without
> totally disabling the power, unplugging the coil, switching the breaker,
> etc.

Reminds me of a principle the Nuclear Navy calls 'double deenergization'
(electrical) and 'double isolation' (mechanical) - you have two barriers
between you and anything dangerous, like opening the control switch or
breaker AND unplugging it.

Sometimes it feels a little silly to check something unplugged (or to
short that capacitor) two or three times before I start working on it,
but there have been a couple of times when I found I had missed
something the first time, so it's worth it.

--
Alan McIntyre
alan-at-norfolkgraphics-dot-com