[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RSG Questions...

<<
> First, I see a lot of talk about sync RSGs for neon use. Does it matter
> for pigs? Why/Why not? Seems that the neons overvolt quickly and burn up
> on a non-sync RSG according to list posts. Is this a large concern for
> the pig? I don't want to kill my pig. ;)

Travis,

Pigs are very strong, and most pig systems use a non-sync gap, but
you can use a sync gap.  For a first large system, it's probalby better
to run non-sync.  Much more flexibility since you  can adjust the break
rate for best results, depending on cap size, etc.

> Where does one obtain motors for this? I see some large motors in the
> hardware store for swamp coolers, will those work? They are probably not
> sync, but may be modifiable.

Easiest way is to use a 1/2 HP induction motor motor from a bench
grinder, etc.  induction motors are a dime a dozen used, get them
from washing machines, clothes dryers, etc.   Hard to control the
speed of the motor though, although a variac will work to control
the speed, but the motor will run hot at low speeds.  Good for short
runs.  If the motor burns out just replace it, etc.   DR.  Resonance
has given info in the past about the proper number of electrodes to
use, the disc size, motor size, etc.

Other way to go is get a 1/2 HP universal motor, which will respond
better to speed control.

> If it's non sync, could I connect a varriac to it for speed control? My
> thought here is that I could use the speed to help adjust the firing
> timing. Which may be usefull in getting longer sparks. Seems like I read
> about it someplace, I just can't remember where. ;)

Yes, yes, and yes.

> Where can I get the tungsten electrodes and how do I cut the stuff or
> get it cut? How do I get them to stay in place on the disc? I'm thinking
> this will be the most expensive part, I want to make sure I do it right.

There's a few approaches possible here;  Solid tungsten (contact Ed
Wingate).  Or tungsten tipped welding electrodes.  They can be held in
the disc with set screws.  Or use steel or copper electrodes, but they
won't last as long.

John Freau