[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Welders act as resistive Balast ?

Hi All,
    In preparation for ballasting my pole pig I have repaired my Brazing
transformer which I believe is similar to a welder.  Having shorted the
output terminals I get from 3-50mH inductance on the primary at various
current settings.  Testing it by itself (no Tesla coil) on the lowest
current setting I draw 10A at 200v input i.e 2KVA.  My Weston Watt meter
however registers 1800W.  My impression is such a transformer is represented
as inductive ballast on the list, yet it consumes so much power.  I see no
need for additional resistive 2-3 Ohm load as often recommended.

regards

Viv Watts UK.