[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RSG Questions...

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Travis Tabbal <bigboss-at-xmission-dot-com>
>
> I am in the planning stage of building an RSG. If anyone has answers for
> my questions they would be appreacated. My basic idea is for a 8-12"
> disc with 4 electrodes. The rest is a bit in the air.
>
> snnnnippp......
>
> Where can I get the tungsten electrodes and how do I cut the stuff or
> get it cut? How do I get them to stay in place on the disc? I'm thinking
> this will be the most expensive part, I want to make sure I do it right.
>
> Travis

try to use a disc about 9-11 " dia.   also go for 8 electrodes  ( the really
big discs put too much strain on the outer perimeter when spinning ...
possible break out and flying parts) as far as the tungsten....   any
decient welding supply will have them   try for 1/8" or bigger in dia. (
they are normally 7" long  think about purchasing 6 )   as far as "cutting"
them  either you can grind them to length which is difficult at best or you
can "snap" them in a vise... tungsten is very hard therefore BRITTLE   :)
the drawback to snapping them is that you cant get really great control of
the length of the break, sometimes they break inside the vise about 1/4 " in
, other times they will break 1/2" to the outside of the vise ( most of the
time they break inside) so ...  give yourself an extra 3/8" to play with

Scot D