[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Electric bath? ... X-rays from light bulbs/Tesla Coils

Hi David and all,

Yes, the inverse square law is precisely what I used to use.  With it, I
could get a rough idea of the amount of x-radiation the candidate bulb was
producing.  And the benefit was that this could be done relatively safely.
I would make a distance/ x-radiation chart and then reverse calculate to
find out the amount of radiation produced, say one foot from the bulb.  I'd
still have a pair of binoculars handy for viewing the Geiger meter from
closer distances.

To anyone out there considering experimenting, I cannot stress enough the
importance of time, shielding and distance.  Remember that x-rays are like
low energy gamma rays and will easily go through your body.  Upon impact
with cellular DNA, they can modify or destroy it.  Sometimes the DNA is
modified enough to produce cancer.  And it might not take as much exposure
as you think to cause cancer twenty or thirty years down the road.  Many of
Roentgen's followers, who continued to experiment with Crookes tubes,
complained of sunburn like symptoms of the hands within six months after
their first exposures.  Many of these scientists ended up dying within five
years or having to have their hands amputated.  Look at the unfortunate
Harry Cox, who built his own Rhumkorff coil for the purpose of experimenting
with x-ray tubes (I believe this was in the '20's or '30's).  He died of
cancer too.  Remember, even if the bulb isn't producing x-rays, it might be
emitting ultraviolet radiation of a short enough wavelength to be harmful to
the skin and eyes.  If you're unsure about x-ray production, then don't
energize the bulb.  I'd certainly avoid using my hand as a capacitive ground
too.

John Bowers