[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First light...Sort of

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Aric_C_Rothman-at-email.whirlpool-dot-com
>
>      I started up my complete coil for the first time, with disappointing
>      results.  Vital specs (from memory) are:
>
>      Power Supply:      15 kV NST
>      Tank Cap:          0.01 uF styrene
>                          (0.04 uF 40mil dielectric x 4 in series)
>      Primary:           18 turns, 30 degree inverted cone
>                         1/4" soft copper tubing, 1/4" spacing
>      Secondary:         4.125" dia. x 51" long secondary
>      Top Load:          4" x 32" toroid
>      Spark Gap:         RQ style, 1/2" Cu tubing, 0.02" gaps, 10 gaps
>
>  SNIPPP...

hmmmm...     trim down the coil to around 24" of wound material  ( what is the
size of wire you are using ??  is it  20 - 24 awg? )  give yourself an
additional 3 " of exposed tube above the windings    and about 2" below the
windings...

the primary ....    if you have a single 15KV NST   ( what is the output
amps???    .030  .060   .090 ???  )  try tapping in at  turns  6 - 10   altho
keep the full 18 turns available for future use ...

the cap sounds useable ....

make a safety gap if you dont have one,  ground the bottom of the secondary
well to a seperate ground other than the house ground...

and make the toriod about 4" X 18 - 22 "  and put it about 3 - 5 inches above
the top of the upper windings of the secondary...

this should get you closer to 24 " of spark  ( i like to call them streamers
;)   )

Scot D