[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tungsten electrodes in static gap?

At 05:24 PM 09/14/1999 -0600, Tesla List wrote:
>Original Poster: "Jeff Behary" <jeff_behary-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Jeff, Malcolm, all,

I've had great success using the standard RQ cylindrical
static gap, using 11 gaps with a muffin fan. It quenches
well. However, my main issue with this type of gap is that,
with copper, the gaps are a real pain to clean. So much so,
that I now have two RQ static gaps - one in use and a spare
which gets rotated when the current one needs cleaning.

Thats why I was asking about, in particular, the HV corrosion
characteristics of tungsten - I just would rather not spend lots
of time cleaning gaps if I don't have to, especially if there is a
superior material available.

Jeff, you have some beautiful tungsten static gaps on your site.
And yes, they are REAL nice and make me drool with envy. <G>

Does any company still make these types of heat-finned tungsten
spark gaps?

How hard are they to make and where can one find finned heat sinks to
make them? I know that Mark Finnis did something like this, and it
turned out really nice, based on the pictures I saw on his site.

Don