[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Aluminium Primary

With the recent discussion on aluminium magnet wire I thought I would ask about
the use of aluminium for the primary. I have used 9.5 mm (3/8") 1350 electrical
grade (very very pure) 0-Temper aluminium rod for my 10-turn primary. The
aluminium is not anodised so the surface is electrically conductive. Is this an
acceptable conductor for the primary ?
Initial TC testing proved disappointing. All I could draw was an 18cm spark -
but I think this was due to the 200 kV, 0.0195uF paper capacitor (from a
particle accelerator) being inappropriate for pulsed TC use - an MMC is on the
way. Maybe the aluminium primary affected it also? What do you think?

Big Russ from Down Under.