[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Aluminum magnet wire?

    That isn't pure aluminum.  Tin lead, or tin silver solder doesn't melt
at the temperature, of tin, or lead but, is usually melting at a lower
temperature.  What I am saying is that, you are not using pure aluminum wire
because, it is paramagnetic.  There are several alloys, and I have looked
but, I know that aluminum has been used in manufacturing allow magnets.
When you break it up you can take advantage of the paramagnetic qualities,
and make a stronger magnet but, do you see aluminum sticking to a magnet
when it's pure?  Aluminum Nickel Cobalt or Alinco combined makes a very
strong magnet but, the relative ability for Aluminum, or nickel to retain a
magnetic field is nearly nill.  Once you mix the aluminum with another
metal, it may only respond like copper magnetically.  All of the magnet wire
that has aluminum in it is alloy wire.  Aluminum is not a good wire for
coiling, and they probably won't sell it to you as aluminum magnet wire,
unless it is an alloy, because aluminum by itself hates a changing magnetic
field, and by so much, that I won't go near coiling with the stuff.
Frankly, aluminum is rail gun ammo, and in a high current coil, its a
shrapnel bomb.   Alloys take some of the properties of one metal, and
sometimes apply them to another, and in some cases it is beneficial but,
aluminum by itself is nasty around changing magnetic fields.

James.