[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Valves

At 17:24 23/09/99 -0600, you wrote:

>Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
>Except that a thyratron really is a "latching" kind of tube (think of it as
>a SCR) as opposed to an amplifier (like a triode or tetrode).  I believe
>that Richard Hull did some stuff using thyratrons as a replacement for the
>spark gap though...

My limited knowledge tells me this means it "stays switched-on" once fired,
until the forward current source disappears that is.

How would this work with our RF cap oscillations ?

Would the zero current crossing following the "bang" result in the "switch"
going into the off state ??

Could you run a charging DC supply into it, then use a triggered pulse
circuit for firing frequency ???

Any more thoughts from the EE types ........ when I say limited knowledge,
I ain't kidding :-(

Thanks

Mark

Tesla Home Page:   http://www.adelaide-dot-net.au/~mefinnis/