[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Aluminum magnet wire?

On Sat, 18 Sept. 1999 12:19:41 -0600 In the Tesla List
<BillEaver-at-aol-dot-com> Denis Despins wrote;

>I thought that someone would bring up the fact that some Aluminum wire
>is electroplated with copper. The stuff is easy to solder and I know
that
>since I was the one elected to rewire my Father's house back to copper
>(because the lugs would never stay tight enough in the outlet and would
start to
>smoke) that when a large current was applied "vacuum cleaner" the wires
would
>jump in the wall a whole lot more than copper (I tested it with an
>indicator gage). Please build a sec, out of Al as I would love to know
the outcome.

I've built many small coils using the Aluminum wire from color TV
degaussing coils.
It acted no different than a copper coil of equal dimensions. You do have
to be careful
to tighten all copper to aluminum connections though to prevent arching.

                                            Sincerely;

                                       Alfred A. Skrocki Sr.
                                    Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-juno-dot-com
                                    AlfredSkrocki-at-NetZero-dot-net