[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Very weak coupling and life of primary arc

--- Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
> Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

> <<
> > Hi Terry,All,
> > I'm interested in the correctness of one claim
> that
> > concerns weak prim/sec coupling and lasting of
> prim.
> > gap arc.
> > If k is very low (read k< 0.1) it is claimed that
> > after all the energy is completely transferred to
> > secondary circuit for the first time,primary arc
> turns
> > off and doesn't refire again.
> > In other words this is a case where there's no
> return
> > of energy from secondary way back to primary.
> > Relatively small induced voltage across Lp by mag.
> > influence of secondary is found to be a reason
> (which
> > is understandable since small k).
> > However ,I doubt.The gap should lost its
> conductive
> > properties in 1 microsec. itself!
> > It is emphasized: no need of any rotary
> > ,cooling,forced air flow in gap if input power
> isn't
> > to considerable (1 KW aprox.limit)-just static gap
> > employed.
> > Maybe it would work if multiple series gap used?
> > And yes, just for any case -the protection of
> power
> > transformer is a must here.
>
> > Every experience/info/thoughts on this subject is
> > welcome.
>
> > -Boris
>    >>

> Boris,
>
> It is true that the energy transfer will be one way,
> from primary
> to secondary with loose coupling.  But it will not
> occur in 1uS.  Rather
> it will take the amount of time for one complete
> beat, which could be
> 10 RF cycles or so.  The transfer of energy is
> gradual, and usually
> takes a number of RF cycles.  The number of cycles
> depends on the
> degree of coupling.
>
> With loose coupling the energy does not transfer
> faster; it actually
> transfers more slowly.  If the coupling is tight,
> the energy will transfer
> faster, but there's the likelihood that the gap will
> not quench at that
> point, and the energy will be able to reflect back
> to the primary.  For
> this reason, the total time that the gap is ignited
> may be approximately
> equal with either loose or tight coupling.
>
> The real way to extinquish the gap quickly is to
> make sure the TC is
> well tuned and is heavily loaded by output streamers
> which will suck
> the energy out the the system quickly, and permit
> the gap to quench.
>
> Cheers,
> John Freau>

  John,
  Obviously you misunderstood me.I know very well that
smaller k more cycles are required for transferr of
energy from prior to secondary.If working freq. of TC
is for  example 100Khz and k=0.1 aprox.  6 cycles of
100Khz are required for Resonant rise ..If k=1 ,which
is ,by the way,  for air core transformers impossible
to accomplish  ,there is huge mix of frequencies and
if one tries to separate what is here TC main freq.
and what resonant rise time ,he is in trouble (nasty
potatoida appears as solution of system of 2 dif. eqs.
 )But,I degressed..I'm interested is possible to make
TC system with K<0.1 and multiple series spark gap
without breaker or artifical air cooling ,without too
bad efficiency ,that could transferr energy from
primary to secondary without 2 or more exchanges of
energies between two circuits.
Clear?

Regards,
Boris