[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: first tesla coil

well my coil is powered by 12k 30 ma transformer i have 2 - 12.5nf caps in
series
1/( 1/C1 + 1/C2 +........ect) = 6.2nf total capacitance. in mineral oil
my pri is saucer shape 15 turns taped at 13 3/4,
sec is on 3" pvc about 1200 turns of #24 awg
and my gap is 9 series 3/4" copper pipes about 3" in length. gap is .025" (the
thickness of a hacksaw blade)
my torrid is 4"aluminum flex pipe its about 19" diameter. i am currently
getting
17" to 24 inch sparks
:-)
i have some pictures at
http://www.datasync-dot-com/~ignatz/electro/teslacoil/teslacoil.htm

cap specs:
plate
alum flashing 5x7=35sq.in.
# of plates- 24

dialect
Polyethylene
 30 mil- consisting of 5, .006" layers of poly
estimated capacitance
13.22nf
measured capacitance is
12.5 nf
 below is the formulas i used to construct the caps i made.

   EQUATION 1:  PLATE TYPE CAPACITORS

    Capacitance (in picofarads) = (0.224 KA / d) (N-1) to convert Pf to Nf you
divide by 1000,
and for Polyethylene  i used 2 for the k.

        0.224 x Dielectric Strength x Area of plate
          distance between plates in inches

hope that helps
art