[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Better Gap Worth Effort

This post caught my attention:

> Original Poster: "unicorn" <unicorn-at-telerama-dot-com>
>
> HELLO,
>
>   I think static gaps are crape.  Tah take to long to cleen and it do not
> quench to good. A rsq or a air blast gap works much better then a static
> gap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>

>   kid-kv
>
>  P.S I made a air gap with a fan and brass serws and it works much better
then
> the static gap i had. The static gap took to long to cleen. My coil has
> bottle caps and a air gap. With the fan i get 12" eze with out the fan i get
> 4" to 7" sparks. does that give the id.?

The type of gap is not the single determinant of performance.
Perhaps the coil is a bit wanting in a few areas as well. The primary
cap is also most worthy of attention. I have posted this many times
but I have a coil which delivers 5' peak attached sparks and uses a
single 1/2" tungsten carbide tipped static gap with a *very gentle* air
flow past the electrodes. I know for a fact that many factors
contribute to the success of this coil. For example, adding a larger
topload and another turn to the primary to maintain tune added
nearly a foot to the output and made sparks hotter into the bargain -
all with the same gap setting and power input. I had to add a tiny
amount of airflow to prevent the gap power arcing since k increased
with the change in primary and reduced gap "quiet time". I think
Richard Hull's concept of "synergism" was most apt.

Regards,
malcolm