[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: vacuum spark gap (not exhaust fan type)

Check the text "High Voltage Engineering" (don't recall author-I'll ck &
RSVP)
> I recall a good chapter on arcs in a vacuum, Pashcen sp? law/curves vs.
vacuum.

	Paschen's law. circa 1910

> I use Jennings & Kilovac vacuum relay spark gaps for all my single shot
DCTC's
> and achieve very good results (contacts come close but don't contact - jog
> to arc).

	Any idea how close they come before breakdown?  I assume you throw the
contacts all the way using electrical input to the actuator coil.

> My efficiency is very high, even with voltages as low as 7kVdc.
>
> I do take advantage of moveable vs. stationary electrodes, however.

	Obviously excellent for single-pulse work (extremely low switch
resistance, controlled time of breakdown)  but as mentioned in another
post, don't think  the idea will work at all for fixed electrodes.

Ed