[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Industrial Lighting Ballasts

There are a variety of these illumination transformers available from the
various surplus dealers: Herbach and Rademan, C&H, and others.  They seem
to run about 4500V open circuit, around 400-500 mA short circuit, and about
$50 each.

Insulation to the core is always an issue if you start stacking them. Some
have had good luck running them in oil.  The shunts look easily removeable,
although I haven't tried on mine.

I have wired up 4 together to make a "big NST" at 18+kV around 250 mA that
I use for jacob's ladders and the like.