[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New coil parameters for check

> Original Poster: "Andy Cleary" <gemware2-at-dreamscape-dot-com>

(sending again due to List ISP problems)

Hi Andy,

Well, I see 2 problems with this design.

First, the cap size with a primary of 4.2 turns would need to be 0.46uF! This
is way too large by a magnitude. I assume, there is something wrong with the
input values used in WinTesla. I don't use it (it won't install on my pc due to
my pc - I've got the same problem with JHCTES program). However, if you
increase your primary turns to around 13.5, then you end up with a more
realistic cap size of 0.04uF. I'm not sure what your planning on using for a
cap size, but 0.04uF and 13.5 turns would actually be a nice choice for this
coil.

Secondly, the output of the supply transformer is low. I would seriously
consider increasing the supply voltage. You should make the cap capable of at
least 2.5 times the output supply. If you double the voltage processed, you
increase your power processed by 4, and thereby increase spark length
potential.

This coil is large enough to process quite a bit of power. Yes, a pole pig
would make a nice supply for it, but it's not the only source of high power. A
potential transformer or stacked NST's would also do well.

Take care,
Bart