[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Magnifier

Hi Michael,
                  I've said enough about magnifiers elsewhere.
Addressing the second part of your post:

> Original Poster: "Michael Novak" <acmnovak-at-email.msn-dot-com>
<snip part 1>

> Since I wrote this I've been reading abould ball lightning.  More
> specifically, Corum's ball lightning paper.  He says that ball lightning
> (reffered to as BL later on) was the result of a higher frequency imposed
> on a lower frequency coil.  If this is true, than there's another reason
> tesla saw BL more than us.  He used an extra coil in most of his coils.
> From what I read on Bert Pool's paper, the secondary coil and extra coil
> have two different frequencies. Therefore, if the extra coil was allowed to
> arc to the secondary coil, the faster voltage rise of the extra coil should
> release the energy of the secondary coil before it is able to reach its
> peak voltage and a burst of enery should result.

I have yet to see anything that I could call ball lightning in the CS
Notes. I have that Corum paper. It is obvious from what I read that
the two frequencies are not a pre-requisite to making ball lightning -
if indeed it can be made. Also outlined in that paper is a method
which uses a single coil with a carbonaceous discharge point. I
have tried this on a suitably sized coil (using the air streamers which
Ken C. personally recommends) and succeeded only in getting a
few showers of burning carbon sparks.
      Other ideas from others that I've heard include firing a coil at a
charged Marx bank. However, it may be that none of this is the way
to go either. D.C. Cox posted some very interesting information on
ball lightning formation around a poorly earthed radio tower once. It
may be that a strong RF field in combination with a strong DC field
could be necessary. Others have produced fireballs in microwave
ovens. That approach required a continuous energy input though.

> Another thing I was thinking about is: if a transformer (nst, mot, pig,
> etc...) has a primary frequency of 60 Hz, and a magnifier extra coil is
> suposed to be 1/4 the frequency of the primary coil, could you use an extra
> coil to magnify the voltage of an ordinary transformer?

Do the calcs - it would have to be a *huge* air cored resonator that
works at 60Hz.

Regards,
malcolm