Re: Need Secondary wire source

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Chris Brick" <cbrick-at-rebelbase-dot-com>
>
> Hi folks,
>
> The surplus magnet wire has let me down once again.  Two secondaries lost
> to between turn dielectric breakdown.  Does anyone have a good source for
> double formvar or better wire?  I have found some quadruple coated wire
> (may be overkill) but can't find a supplier that will sell by the pound.  I
> need about 5 pounds of 22 gauge asap.

Chris,

I apologize for sounding so simplistic, but I don't think wire
insulation is your problem and going to progressively heavier and
heavier enamel, while it MAY solve the symptom, will not solve the root
problem with your coil.

It sounds like you have a tuning or coupling problem that needs to be
addressed, not a wire insulation problem. I would try elevating the
secondary first to de-couple. Raise the secondary at least 4 or 5 inches
or more first and work down from there. If you work slowly and carefully
with the power levels you should be able to solve your problem without
having to wind a new secondary every time you test fire the coil. Good
luck!

Ed Wingate RATCB