air-core resonator

Hi all!

 I'm looking at flyback drivers for giggles and experience, and am
wondering... I've seen a lot of methods of re-wiring them with a new
primary, and a feedback winding to make it self-oscillating.  Please excuse
my ignorance, but will this method work on an air-core resonator, or is the
ferrite core needed?  I'm guessing it is needed.  I've got a 16v
some-ungodly-amperage transformer to push it with (the thing is
center-tapped, and about 3"x4"x4"!), and a good 5lbs.  Don't need caps to
explode wire, I just short that thing out, and *poof!*.  Anywho, I've got a
good high-amperage supply, and plenty of 2n3055's to toast.  Got good
heatsinking also.  Eventually i'd like to take a crack at a solid-state
sillycon powered TC.  I believe flybacks would be a good place to start
learnin'.  Less noise than a sparkgap too :)

  Another question...A base-fed TC...that's just a secondary that's having
high-powered RF pumped into it, right?  I'm assuming a primary isn't used,
and the normal RF ground is used as the input.  What are the normal ranges
for input power, and how exactly do you feed it?

Caio!
								Shad