Re: primary/mmc stuff

At 03:02 PM 8/1/00 -0700, you wrote:
>snips

>> Bleeder resistors, at like a penny each, are just a darn good idea!  They
>> prevent the caps from unbalanced charging and bleed the caps down when
>power is
>> removed which has save a number of rear ends :-))
>

>So they have nothing to do with the well being of the capacitor itself?
>Where can you get them a penny a peice?(i know, I'm cheap... join the club)

DigiKey sells 10M 1/2 watt YAGEO carbon film resistors for $12/1000

>> The maximum voltage from a transformer is typically the RMS voltage times
>> 1.414...  So a 15kV transformer's peak voltage is 21.213kV.  It has been
>shown
>> that an MMC cap can easily be used at it's DC, rather than AC, voltage.
>So you
>> can use 21213/1600 = 13.25 caps, or 14, 1600 volt caps with a 15kV
>transformer
>> quite safely (My EMMC uses 10 :-)).
>>

>What voltage are you running it at?
>For cost purposes, I'll have 10 strings of 12 caps, (BTW I'm running on two
>12/60)
>That's (.047/12)10= 39nF  +/-5% Max voltage - 1.6(12)=  19.2kV
>Not bad, That's a pretty big cap for only $120 ; )

I have 5 rows with 10 caps per string for 50 caps.  Each sees a little over
2000 volts.  This is well over their rating but they seem to live fine.
They start to pop at about 3200 volts.

>> Tyewraps and lashing them with nylon cord have worded for me.  I use nylon
>> screws on my latest coil:
>> http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/newcoil/
>
>Geez, It looks nice, but it must have taken at least 8 hours to put the
>thing togather...  Where would I get a big peice of plexi or whatever you
>used under your coil? I'd like to actually make my base out of lexan... What
>kind of solvent would be used in this scenario? where might one find it?

We have a plastics retailer here who can order anything in any size.
Places that sell window glass can get Plexiglass which is what my base is
made of.

>Anyhow, I really like your new coil Terry! The primary and secondary look
>flawless... Now for the base. What do you plan for that? Would you please
>put some specs along with those pics, it looks pretty promising. Good Luck,

I'll work on this...

Cheers,

	Terry