primary/secondary coupling height ranges

Hello,

Just for design considerations I'm trying to get an idea of what the
"typical" distance might be between the plane of a flat spiral primary and
the lowest winding of the secondary.  I was figuring about 1" below the
secondary.  I know there is probably much within the design of each coil
that would have an affect on this but I am just looking for an "average".
Also,
what have people heard of others using for the lower and upper extremes.

Thanks,
John M.