Re: NST failures

In a message dated 8/3/00 5:45:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Running the transformers with minimal lead lengths
>  is now the only way I run them and I haven't lost any (no
>  filters, safety's etc. for the several years I've been doing
>  this. To prove the point I once smoked another type of
>  transformer (which up until that time had performed
>  flawlessly) when on the one occasion I ran a twisted pair for
>  a couple of metres from the transformer to the gap.
>

>  Regards,
>  Malcolm

Malcolm,

In my sync gap coils that use NST power, I always used no more
than 12" of wiring from NST to tank.  Do you think 12" is within the
safe limit?  Maybe this is why I've had no failures even when
running resonant charging with the sync gaps while getting 42"
sparks from a 12/30 NST, using only safety gaps for protection.
I wonder if the folks who have had failures were using much
longer HV leads from the NST?

Cheers,
John Freau