FW: TC Sparks and Arcs (Was - High Voltage Snubber caps

Revised

Jim -

It is my understanding that the best man made vacuum on earth still has
millions of atoms in the chamber compared to outer space. This may make
sparks possible on earth depending on the amount of man made vacuum.
However, in space with the two isolated and energized terminals a distance
apart a spark would be impossible at any voltage because of the better
vacuum. Is this correct? I read somewhere there is only about one hydrogen
atom per cubic meter in the space between the stars. Not enough for sparks.

I agree that arcs would be possible in space and this is one of the
important differences between sparks and arcs. I think of sparks as a high
voltage phenomena and arcs as a low voltage phonomena. In other words the
initiation of the spark requires voltage while the arc requires current.

What do you mean by "it would be formed by being "drawn". What is being
drawn to form the spark?

John H. Couture