Re: space winding

Hi Ken,

On 4 Aug 00, at 18:42, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> >From Ken Herrick,  2 comments on the 2 ideas:  I'd thought of something
> like #1 but...what does one do about the >joint< that makes the loop of
> fishing line or the like endless?  That joint will be a lump of some kind
> and that lump will periodically progress along until it's interfering
> with the lay of the wire.  Who's got a solution to that?

You could wind the coil in sections - like say 25 turns,
remove spacer, spray, then wind the next 25 or whatever etc.
Tedious but then the best things take time.....  I'm planning
to wind another coil in a similar fashion.

> As for #2, I suppose you mean tape that's sticky both sides, like "carpet
> tape".  That's what (I think) I plan to use.  Apply ~8 longitudinal
> pieces before winding & space-wind the wire over them.  The stickiness
> will hold the wire in place until it can be varnished or whatever.
> Comments, anyone?

I've found that it doesn't take much to make unvarnished
windings move once the spacer is gone. If it does move, it
will never be the same again. Also temperature variations can
make this a nightmare. I once closewound a coil, left it
overnight before varnishing and returned to find a winding
with lumps in it. There's probably a bit of malleability in
there as well.

Regards,
malcolm