Re: space winding

Hi David,

On 5 Aug 00, at 20:45, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've been noticing from reading this space winding thread that
> no one has (or admitting to) just leaving the spacing fishing
> line on the sec coil form to maintain the spacing. I DON'T
> space wind any more, but when I did, I never tried to remove
> the spacing material. Of course, I did always use a good di-
> electric material ( usually nylon fishing line) for spacing. It
> seemed to be a lot easier to just leave it on than to try to re-
> move it. I know some would say that the nylon could hold
> moisture, but I never had any problems from leaving it on,
> though. Then when I was finished winding the sec coil as-
> sembly, I simply PU'd the whole thing (fishing line and all)
> with several coats, and it was ready for action!
>
> Like I said, I don't space wind any more as I think this is
> unnecessary. I just use the proper guage of wire that will
> get me into the ballpark range of my projected # of sec
> windings with NO spacing. When the coil is properly de-
> signed and tuned, there is no need for spacing of the wind-
> ings to prevent turn/turn flashover.

I've never used spacing to prevent turn-turn flashovers which
I've never seen happen anyway. I use it to cut down on weight
and cost of a coil. Q measurements show that winding to a
specified winding pitch with a wire that's half the gauge
yields a better result. It also looks cool.

Regards,
Malcolm