Re: GMHEICSLR....sort of

Hi Sundog,

	I was just dusting off the Fabulous GMHEICSLR cup tonight!  Every time I
see GMHEICSLR in a subject line, a cold shiver goes down my spine!  Oh oh,
will this be... :-))

Submersing the thing in oil will stop the tracking problem.  Be sure to
keep it in a cantainer since the oil will "jerk" under the stress and
something my let loose...

It is important to get the thing tuned at lower power.  I think if the
tuning is off, the primary cap vents its furry into the coil without
anything coming out.  Thus blowing it's guts out.  I would get the thing
going at maybe 600 volts first and play with the tuning, arc points,
polarity and get everything just right and peaked.  Then carefully turn up
the voltage bit by bit.  The coil is at the edge of destruction so you have
to be sure it is right before "going for it!"  then you should be able to
get to 13.24999 inches! :-))  You want the power to go through the coil,
not into it.

The long sparks are kind of thin but snappy.  If they are bright and
powerful, that may mean the tuning is off.  Be sure to try both polarities
too.  I also had mine on a concrete floor which may have provided a nice
ground plane.  Perhaps being on a table whould have an effect?

I know Marc and Sam were working on this too but the prise still eludes
them :-))

http://www.powerlabs-dot-org/gmheicslr.htm

Be sure not to get shocked by it.  The 10kHz high voltage RF will send you
through the roof!!  Since mine was so dependeant on polarity, perhaps there
is a lot of net DC too?

Cheers,

	Terry