Re: Primary windings

snips

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: Primary windings

> Original poster: "Kelly & Phillipa Williams" <kellyw-at-ihug.co.nz>
>
> Hi experienced ones,
>
> (I am in the process of building a TC.) I have two 15 kV 30mA NST's as a
> power source
> and I am wondering if I can use copper tubing of OD 3/16 ths of an inch
for
> the primary coil
> in the from of an inverse conical spiral. Is this too large?

No, it's not "too large", if there is such a thing. However, you'll get
better results with a flat archimedes spiral. Many coilers, including
myself, have found that inverse conical primaries give far too high coupling
factor. The result is racing sparks on the side of the secondary, primary
strikes, and secondaries mysteriously burning down. I've experienced all of
those.  The only way you could get away with an inverse conical primary is
if you make the I.D. about 3 or four iches bigger than your secondary. Of
course, this would completely defeat the overall purpose of a inverse
conical primary by lowering the coupling factor. I found It's best to stick
with the conventional flat primary design. Go get yourself a cutting board
made or Lexan at K-mart or something to use as supports. Wood is a very bad
choice here.
for good primary designs see:
http://www.fwpd-dot-net/dona/tesla/primary.htm
or
http://www.angelfire-dot-com/ga3/tesla/pricoil.htm

> Also, what is a good cheap source for secondary coil windings? I have both
> the primary
> and secondary windings from microwave oven transformers available as a
> possible source,
> are either of these suitable?

Secondary coil windings? You want to salvage wire from a microwave over
transformer? ummm...
No, I'd just go out and buy some wire. It's only like 9 bucks per pound...
If you have any trouble locating some I could hook you up < acmnovak-at-msn-dot-com

Otherwise look in your local yellow pages under motor repair shops or
machine shops, they often carry enameled copper wire which they might let
you buy if you ask reel nice. (pun intended... sorry)

No prob,

    -Michael