am I a SRSG failure?

Hi everyone,
I recently milled two flats into my 2 pole 3450RPM motor withsome files and a
barrel sander and drill (oww, my arms) to make it salient, however when I did
the flourescent test, the motor appeared to be lagging behind what it should be
in rpm's.  It doesn't search either, it only runs as it seemed to have ran
before I ever modified it.
    What's wrong?  I made sure to make the flats the same width as the "dead
poles" (which are the width of 3 poles right?)  And they are not off the 180
degree marks either.  I just don't see what is wrong with the flats as far as
the examples I used of other modified motors.  Possibly I should mill the flats
more?

Dave