Re: Avalon

Hi Chris, all

<< Original poster: "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

<snip>
> This entire building will be remodeled as a dedicated use, strictly HV
> experimentation and research. What types of things should we be thinking
>about in the early phases of design? If you could make your dream Tesla
> workshop, what would you have? Electrical service? Would it be preferable
> have a 14.4KV feed direct inside the building? (There is a pad transformer
> RIGHT next to it with a 14.4KV primary.) My thoughts are to bring it in at
> LV (480VAC) to make switching and voltage regulation easier in the power
> supply. Can you imagine a 15KV variac?.....ARGH!

Running H.V. down close to the ground = unsafe operation. Of course i'm sure
that it won't be to code either.

> My thoughts are that, with the flat roof, a telascopic roof would be
> feasible. With overlapping sections about 5' each riding on rails similar
> a gantry crane, they could be either pneumatic or cable controled.

What kind of building is this? If its a tiltup building, than you CAN'T cut
holes in the roof. The roof of the tilt up building is what keeps the walls
from falling. (well the only holes i've seen in a tiltup wall were caused by
an earthquake.. and the building did almost collapse after that.

> Give me ideas guys, this is an oppertunity to make the dream Tesla research
>facility. The Avalon coil isn't the only thing I want to do. This is to be a
> hands-on (though well supervised) Tesla research, experimentation, and
> education facility built in the spirit of The Geek Group. But I want to do
>it right and there are a LOT of people out here on this list with IQ's that
> make me look like a carrot, ideas?

how bout a machine/wood shop?

 Have fun!

 Christopher A. Boden Geek#1