Re: Fw: Fw: Space winding

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> So...It's now morning & I see still another error in my postings of
> yesterday:  In 2.1 the square root of 0.5 is, of course, 0.707 and not
> 0.25.  Thus, in 2.2, Q will increase to 0.707/0.25 = 2.8 times what it
> was.  And from that, in 3.1, the new voltage is going to be 0.5 x 2.8 =
> 1.4 x the old.  So space-wound is better!  Plus, even better than that by
> my reasoning re the frequency.

I am reading with interest your comments, but I notice a possible
problem: Q only affects significantly the output of a CW coil. A
capacitor-discharge coil has its output voltage fundamentally
limited by the energy stored in the primary capacitor at each
operation cycle. The output voltage cannot exceed:
Vomax=Vin*sqrt(C1/C2)
where C1 is the primary capacitance and C2 the total secondary
capacitance, what includes the secondary self-capacitance and
the terminal capacitance (a bit smaller that the sum of both, as
separately measured or calculated). Higher Q is certainly good,
however, because losses in the coil will be smaller. The limit
value is only reached in a lossless Tesla transformer.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz