RE: I need some help quick re: warning friends of Ozone.

Hi Gary

Try a web search using infoseek
http://www.go-dot-com/find?pg=advanced_www.html&ud9=advanced_www
just entering ion generator in the first box yielded these in the first ten
hits.
http://www.skeptics-dot-com.au/journal/neg-ion.htm
http://www-dot-netasia-dot-net/users/truehealth/Negative%20Ion%20Therapy.htm

It is interesting to see how public opinion and the opinion of the
scientific community changes from time to time, sometimes more in keeping
with whatever is politically correct than with actual scientific evidence.

If cleaning the air is what you (they) are after, then of course an
electrostatic precipitator is the way to go.  But they can produce high
levels of ozone too, if not maintained properly. Once the charge wires get
coated with dirt, they are all but insulated and the emission is restricted
to a few hot spots. This is where the excess ozone comes from. The same
thing can happen in a copier or a laser printer, but there is usually an
indicator that something is wrong, that is poor copy quality. An ion
generator operates with the hot spot as the only means of emission,
therefore rendering it virtually useless as an air cleaning device as the
energy is spent making ozone and polluting the air more than cleaning it.

I worked as a copier repairman for over 20 years, and have developed a sharp
sense of smell when it comes to ozone. I can smell it in concentrations much
lower than the (so called) average person. I would guess that anyone who
works around high voltage equipment or plays with Tesla coils and the like
would be in a situation to become sensitized. This sensitivity became an
invaluable troubleshooting aid for me. If I could just walk into an office
and smell ozone I knew to look for a problem with the chargers, or coronas
as they are sometimes called. I walked into a restaurant about a year ago
early in the morning before they were open and the staff were just showing
up for work, and the smell of ozone was very strong. I looked up at the
ceiling and of course, the electrostatic precipitators were very dirty. I
was there to install a fan in the roof over the bar to extract smoke because
the smoke eaters (electrostatic precipitators) weren't doing their job. I
commented to the manager how good it smelled in there, she looked at me as
if I were crazy and ask "what smell?"  I told her ozone. She couldn't smell
it. I told her about the possible effects of breathing too much ozone, and
got that "you must be crazy" look again. It turns out she was getting
headaches most mornings about half an hour after opening up to let the
employees in. Now they have their smoke eaters serviced regularly.

Hope this helps some,
later
deano