RE: construction materials

Hi Michael,

G-10 is available from McMaster-Carr as well as many good plastics
suppliers.
I got some from a company called Regal Plastics a couple of years ago but
they
no longer stock it. You just have to keep calling around. If you can find
someone
close by who keeps it in stock and cuts to size, you may be able to find a
scrap
or two suitable for your needs at a reduced price.

As so the stand, motor mounts, etc. it is hard to beat steel. My newest SRSG
has
a frame made of 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 1/4" angle iron with a 1/4" thick steel
plate
for the motor mount. This plate has slots milled in it to allow adjustment
of the
motor position and setting gap distance.

As for the electrodes, brass is a poor choice. I used that because I had
some on hand,
and was in a hurry to get the thing running. The brass tends to erode rather
quickly.
This produces a lot of metallic ions and I have had some problems with
flashover to the
primary, and when the metal explosion shield is in place it has a tendency
to power arc
to the shield. I used tungsten electrodes on my previous SRSG and had
neither of those
problems. That gap used 1/8" tungsten electrodes cut from TIG welding
electrodes set
into brass holders. Worked fine at lower power levels, and a 7" long stick
of tungsten
only costs $7 or so. At higher power levels, it burned up rather quickly due
to the
lack of heat dissipation. If I adjusted the gap to provide less stick out,
hence better
cooling, the sparks would start out on the brass holders and then climb up
the tungsten
electrodes. This made for some problems with varying dwell and timing
between bangs.
If you are running at 1.5KVA or less then 1/8" tungsten is probably OK. At
higher power
levels more massive electrodes are indicated. Pure copper works fairly well
in place of
tungsten, better than brass at least. One of the simplest, cheapest ways,
and one that
has been used by others, I have not tried it myself, is to use copper bolts
as electrodes.
Copper bolts can be had, again, from McMaster-Carr. They are called "silicon
bronze", BTW.
You won't find a listing for "copper" bolts.

As to the Rotozip, I can't help you there.

later
deano