8" coil run

Hello friends!

Well, I ran my new 8" coil last night, and worked out some more bugs. More to
go....
I tried the 60bps SRSG I built, and the resonant rise was a real problem. all
three safeties fired on a regular basis. (this is running from a 10kVA pole
tranny) I really need a better ballast than I have. I figure I'm running at
around 4 kVA.

Anyway, Turning the rsg motor off, and alighning the rotor to function as a
static gap (for VERY short runs) the coil took right off with some near
ground strikes, which would be about 5 to 5 1/2' . It took no longer than a
second or 2 to diminish greatly. All this was at 50% power on the variac. I'm
not willing to push it........yet :). Actually, I have to say, this really
tested my nerve a bit... to date I had a 4" coil with 42" streamers, so
seeing streamers come close to the gfround was an eye-opener.

My wife said she saw one "racing" spark on the secondary, but only one. lots
of work to do on this beast...I think I'm going to build an async gap for
this. the 60 bps may pose problems.

Question.....would 60bps be prone to a greater resonant rise?

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

I'm going to put my super duper heavy duty "Gary Lau"(tm) vacuum static gap
on this thingy for a while, so I can get some tuning done, and at least have
some fun running this beast!

my best to you all,

Chris