Re: Fw: Fw: Space winding

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

> > This results in Vout/Vin=sqrt(C1/C2)
> >
> [kch]  Is there not energy stored in the magnetic field of the secondary;
> and does not that energy find its way to the spark along with what is
> stored in the distributed and top-electrode capacitances?  Or do you
> imply that it is sufficient to consider that the field-energy becomes
> ultimately transferred into the capacitances and thence to the spark?

When the secondary voltage reaches the peak the current in the secondary
is crossing zero. All the energy is really in the capacitances.
For a capacitance, I=C*dv/dt. At the peaks, dv/dt=0, and so there is
no current.

> I wonder if even I can use the formula, or a version of it: my "primary
> capacitance" could be considered to be 12 x 1000 uF, the (electrolytic)
> supply-capacitors for the MOSFETs, discharged perhaps 15% during each
> pulse-burst.

If there were no losses in the system, the formula would be applicable.
If your MOSFETS act just as switches, dissipating little energy, and the
Q of the secondary is so high that the output voltage does not stabilize
during a burst, but rises continuously, linearly, then
formula really gives the maximum voltage that can be reached,
assuming no breakout at the terminal.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz