From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2000 10:15 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: tank circuit of VTTC

Original poster: "Herwig Roscher" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

Hello VTTC builders!

I'm trying to build a dc-CW-VTTC with a tetrode. Some tube data
for use as oscillator: peak dc plate voltage 20 kV, peak cathode
current 12 A, average plate dissipation 1000 W.

As I couldn't find a suitable plate transformer, I tried to use a 6-
MOT PSU providing 5600 Vdc. The problem was that the current I
could get was not sufficient at all. I'll revert to this circuit in an other
post. Now I've acquired a 3 phase tranny (weight 48 kgs) from a
Russian mobile radar which, after rectification of course, deliveres 9
kVdc and more current than I'll ever need.

The VTTC works well but the primary gets hot within short and the
ceramic rf-type caps burnt already. So I've to redesign the tank
circuit. I'm intending to use PVC insulated AWG 8 for the 130 µH
coil and a MMC for the 2N2 tank cap. It will consist of 1 string of 20
Wima FKP1 2000 Vdc 47 nF caps with bleeders and the max
current will be 235 A. Does this design sound good?

Any comments are very wellcome.

Herwig