Re: PT's for sale...err..ripoff

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "sundog" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>
>
>         Hi All...
>
>   Well, on the PT's that I found, I believe I'll keep looking.  They wanted
> 2 GRAND EACH!!!
>
> FPL Item Number Quantity                Description               P/N
                Asking
> Price
>
> 004-779-053         2               TRANSFORMER,
7527A67G01             $
> 2571.00 ea.
>                                                      POTENTIAL, 60 HZ,
3R4285
>     TYPE PT
>
> His reply to my scoffing offer of $150 for the both of 'em was
>
> >These items are new and in the original crate.
> >They are also still in service in our fleet and I cannot sell for less than
> >what we have them for on our books.
> >If and when they are removed from service then our price would be
> >negotiable.
>
> Somehow, we don't think so.  Soooo...I keep looking.  It was a good laugh
> though!  I fell out of my chair laughing about it.  It seems Florida Power
> follows the government program of "a $400 hammer, $200 toilet seat. etc".
> So I keep looking :\  I'll find one though!

Sundog,

Potential transformers, also called "instrument transformers" are used
for metering electrical power for large customers. Consequently, they
must have a turns ratio between primary and secondary that is absolutely
precise. The intended use demands it! Hence, the high prices. It isn't
Florida Power. High precision equals high cost no matter what field you
are talking about! You would be better off looking for a 3 KVA pole
transformer. Low precision, low cost.

Ed Wingate RATCB