Avalon, and Lockout for Safety

ahhhhh, another afternoon exploring and dreaming while the bean counters
cry.....

A couple HV safety questions....

1. We found a >250kVA 14.4KV - 2.4KV pad mount transformer and attached
switchgear shed. There is a lockout tag on the door handle, with 2 VERY
faded tags and a padlock. The tags have been there for years, and the
padlock is too far gone for a key to open it. It's obviously from work being
done long before the shutdown, but I have second thoughs about removing it.
It's soo deeply ingrained into my education that you NEVER UNDER ANY
CIRCUMSTANCE REMOVE ANOTHER MANS PADLOCK FROM A LOCKOUT, to do so is
literally attempted manslaughter and just cause for a serious beating if
you're lucky and no-one gets hurt. What should I do?

2. We found several 2400VAC 250+KVA pigs in a courtyard in the center of 4
buildings. They are old Allis Chalmers units and about 5' tall in a bank 3,
with another 3 smaller ones off to the side. Are these of any use for a
large coil?

Consumers (the power company) came out with 3 guys who spend a lot of time
telling m "That's ot our responsibility" and "I have no idea"....I fail to
be impressed. They couldn't find out why anything was working the way it
was, and claimed no rsponsibility for ANYTHING. They also were a little
upset when, while walking OUT of the gas pit (the fenced in area where the
main gas valves are) I was the last one out and spotted 2 seperate leaks
(small ones, but this is a 200psi 6" line) in the fittings. They left
without doing anything about it saying "We'll call it in" I thought the city
building inspector was going to have kittens. :)

They DID like the idea of a LARGE coil out there though, in the future, when
I meltdown their toy substation playing Thor I'll have to remember to tell
them...

"Sorry, but that, being upstream of my meter, is not my responsibility" lol

hmmmmm...perhaps I'll start breeding lab rats. Then I'll put them in
rat-wheels, with belts and pullies spinning a long shaft to a
generator....we'll be off the grid :) I wonder how many rats = 1KVA?

There's one for the math gurus....lol

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group