Re: MOT coil performance

Hi Chris,

The high current and low voltage of your supply is a recipe for headaches.
I suggest using two half-wave voltage doublers with the MOTs.  These will
boost your peak voltage to around 12kV and reduce the spark gap current.
Also, the pulsed nature of this supply will help prevent formation of a
power arc by giving the gap a half-cycle to rest between each current pulse.

My own limited experience with two unballasted MOTs sent me back to the
voltage doubler scheme in a hurry.

Cheers,

Greg