Space-wound vs. "pie"-wound secondary

Some of you may recall my describing my pie-wound secondary (120 flat
windings of ~12 turns/pie in ~10" mean coil diameter x ~40").  For those
who are attracted by the idea (probably precious few considering the work
involved) let me say this about that:  I've just finished a
(conventional) 12 1/2" dia x 52" space-wound secondary (20 ga., .032" dia
wire spaced ~ .05").  Checked it out this morning prior to varnishing it
and a) its resonant frequency is almost exactly the same as the pie-wound
one (~100 KHz) and b) the spark I get out of it is essentially the same,
too; maybe longer--the toroid is now closer to the stucco/wire mesh
ceiling which is likely tending to initiate the spark sooner than
otherwise.

I know...pie-in-the-sky, it was.  Assuming all is OK after varnishing,
I'll post my "recipe" for the new one.

Ken Herrick
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.