Re: Ballasting Primer (was: Help Me Prepare for a BIG Coil)

Ryan,

Resistive ballasting bites.  It will soak up half your
power and knock your voltage down to boot.  Resistive
ballasting is cheap, safe, and predictable, but it
will waste much of the potential of your pole xfmr.

If you want your coil to behave like a pole pig coil,
then go with inductive ballasting.  I'm using a pair
of 115V MOTs in series with my 5KVA pole xfmr to limit
the 220VAC supply current to about 20 Amps.  4400VA of
inductive ballasting works ten times better than the
9000VA of resistive ballasting I had been using.

Cheers,

Greg